According to the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area intercity railway construction plan, ten intercity railway projects of the Shenzhen metropolitan area are planned to start construction before 2022, with a total length of about 351 kilometres and a total investment of about 187.2 billion RMB. Among the ten projects, six projects are passing through Dongguan (in bold). They are:
01. Qianhai to Pingdi Section of Shenzhen-Huizhou Intercity
02. Shenzhen Airport to Pingshan Section of Shenzhen-Dayawan Intercity
03. Dapeng Branch Line of Shenzhen-Huizhou Intercity
04. Qianhai to Huanggang Port Section of Guangzhou-Dongguan-Shenzhen Intercity
05. Xiaojinkou to Huizhou North Section of Dongguan-Huizhou Intercity
06. Shenzhen Airport to Qianhai Section of Guangzhou-Dongguan-Shenzhen Intercity (under construction)
07. Zhongkai West to Huicheng South Section of Shenzhen-Huizhou Intercity
08. Pingdi to Zhongkai West Section of Shenzhen-Huizhou Intercity
09. Tangxia-Longgang Intercity
10. Changping-Longhua Intercity
Among them, five are scheduled to begin within this year, directly connecting Shenzhen, Dongguan and Huizhou.
Qianhai to Pingdi Section of Shenzhen-Huizhou Intercity
The line starts at Qianhai station in Shenzhen, passes through Xili, Shenzhen North, Wuhe, Pinghu, Fenggang in Dongguan, Longgang, and ends at Pingdi station. The line is about 58.8 kilometres in length and has 11 stations.
Shenzhen Airport to Pingshan Section of Shenzhen-Dayawan Intercity
The line starts at Shenzhen Airport T4 station, passes through Shiyan, Longsheng, Wuhe, Bainikeng, Dayun, Pingshan, and ends at Julong station. The section is about 69 kilometres in length and has 11 stations.
Dapeng Branch Line of Shenzhen-Huizhou Intercity
The line starts at Longgang Longcheng, passes through Pingshan and Kuichong, and ends at Xinda Station in Dapeng. The section is about 39.5 kilometres in length and has six stations.
Qianhai to Huanggang Port Section of Guangzhou-Dongguan-Shenzhen Intercity
The line starts at Qianhai station, passes through Qianhai, Nanshan, Futian, and ends at Huanggang Port station. The mainline is about 20.5 kilometres in length and has two stations.
Xiaojinkou to Huizhou North Section of Dongguan-Huizhou Intercity
The Xiaojinkou to Huizhou North Section is an extension of the Dongguan-Huizhou Intercity, which departs from the north end of its existing Xiaojinkou station, with a total length of 6.36 kilometres. It is planned to start construction in April 2021 and complete construction in October 2024.
It is designed to be an intercity railway, with a design speed of 200 km/h and a top speed of 160 km/h for the underground section.
It is believed that after the completion of these projects, the "Greater Bay Area on the rail" will gradually turn from a blueprint to reality. It will better meet the travel needs of the "one-hour commute circle" between major cities in the Greater Bay Area, making it more convenient for Dongguan residents to travel.