Fishing boat about to sail out to sea in Nansha [Photo provided to Newsgd.com]
The 3-month annual fishing ban for South China Sea officially ended today at 12.00 pm, August 16. Fishermen from Nansha start sailing out to the sea, which means the fresh and yummy seafood is also on the way.
A fisherwoman surnamed Peng from Nansha’s Red Sea Village said she has finished all the preparation, such as the fishing net and supplies, early this morning, and decided to start fishing just after 12 o’clock.
Like every traditional fisherman in the village, Peng and her husband earn their living by fishing around the inner Lingding Sea. Fishing is their lifetime career and their only income source. “I have high hope for this year,” said Peng, “it’s time to work and pay my children’s tuition fee.”
To protect the biological diversity, the Ministry of Agriculture of the People's Republic of China has been imposing the annual fishing ban on South China Sea area for years. This year, the period started from May 1 to August 16.
Nansha is located in the estuary where the Pearl River runs into South China Sea through Lingding Sea. And the district is also Guangzhou’s only access to the sea.
Nansha owns a long history for its fishing industry and is one of the most important fishery in China. The total output of Nansha’s fishing industry reached 138 thousand tons with the total value of 3.4 billion yuan last year in 2016.