GUANGDONG ONLINE
    GD Travel Guide
City
 
  
Toursite (name/keyword)
   
eg: temple, park, golf,       mountain, resort . . . . . .
    Exchange Rate

 

 

   Home-Specials-60th Anniversary of War Against Japanese Aggression-Anniversary News
68th anniversary of massacre marked
Latest Updated by 2005-12-14 09:14:07

For 92-year-old Wu Xiulan, December 13 is forever etched in pain, blood and tears.

On that day in 1937, Japanese invaders occupied the city where she was living - the then-national capital.

Nanjing Massacre

Wu Xiulan, 92, attends a ceremony yesterday to mark the 68th anniversary of the Nanjing Massacre. Wu is a survivor of the massacre, in which two daughters, ages 4 and 2, were killed by Japanese soldiers in 1937. Wu, then 24, lost her left leg during Japanese bombings.[Xinhua]

The ensuing weeks witnessed atrocities unseen in human history, committed by Japanese soldiers in an orgy of killing, raping, looting and burning.

At least 300,000 Chinese civilians were slaughtered, including Wu's two daughters, ages 4 and 2.

Wu, then 24, lost her left leg during Japanese bombings.

Early yesterday morning, Wu, in a wheelchair, went to the Memorial Hall for the Victims of the Nanjing Massacre by Japanese Invaders as she has been doing every year since 1985 when the hall opened.

"I miss the relatives lost in the massacre. I hope there will never be another war," she said.

Wu's third daughter, who accompanied her to the hall, said the elderly woman had refused to meet Japanese visitors or the Japanese media.

"It would remind her of the brutal scenes. She just could not bear it," the daughter said.

Like Wu, about 3,000 massacre survivors, victims' relatives and visitors attended a ceremony yesterday in the capital of East China's Jiangsu Province to mark the 68th anniversary of the Nanjing Massacre. Sirens sounded throughout the city at 10 am.

Ren Yanshen, Nanjing deputy Party secretary, described the massacre as the "darkest page in the history of human civilization."

"We must take history as a mirror and work for world peace and development," he said.

Some Japanese visitors also attended the event including Kenzo Furukawa vice-president of the East Japan Railway Workers' Union who led a 20-member team to show respect to victims.

According to Kenzo, the ancestors of some of his team members had participated in the aggression against China in the 1930s and 1940s.

"It was absolutely wrong for our ancestors to kill innocent Chinese people during the war," said Kenzo, who has attended the memorial ceremony every year since 1996.

Kenzo said that he deliberately brought along some youngsters to tell them the truth of history.

Tatsuya Asari, a young member of Kenzo's team, told China Daily that "we have so many versions of history in Japan. I want to find the right one by myself."

Meanwhile, construction began on a new and bigger memorial hall yesterday.

Zhu Chengshan, curator of the memorial hall, said the new building would cover 7.4 hectares compared to 2.2 hectares at present, and will cost 477 million yuan (US$59.5 million). It will open to the public in two years.

As this year marks the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II, various activities have been held in Nanjing to mark the massacre and to help the survivors.

An English-language website english.nj1937.org was set up on Monday by the memorial hall to let people from all over the world learn more about the massacre.

Electronic versions of more than 300 pictures and documents about the massacre are provided on the website.

A charity association, founded last year in Nanjing, helps massacre survivors receive financial support from the government. There are at least 400 survivors still alive.

Wu Xiulan was among the 70 beneficiaries last year.

"I want my descendants to come to pay homage to the victims every year. It is not for revenge, but for commemoration," she said.

Editor: Yan

 
Previous Story:
Next Story: Sirens mark anniversary of Japan invasion
 

By:Wu Jiao Source:China Daily Website
- Relevant Stories -
60th anniversary of recovering Taiwan
This site contains material from other media for content enrichment purpose only.
The Southcn.com website do not endorse such content and do not bear the joint responsibility of their copyright infringement.
The views expressed in written material posted to the bulletin boards of Southcn.com are those of the authors and/or publishers. The Southcn.com website does not endorse information products posted by organizations and individuals here. The originators of these information products are solely responsible for their content.
For copyright infringement issues, you shall contact Southcn.com within thirty (30) days. Email: falv@southcn.com
Anniversary highlights peaceful growth
This site contains material from other media for content enrichment purpose only.
The Southcn.com website do not endorse such content and do not bear the joint responsibility of their copyright infringement.
The views expressed in written material posted to the bulletin boards of Southcn.com are those of the authors and/or publishers. The Southcn.com website does not endorse information products posted by organizations and individuals here. The originators of these information products are solely responsible for their content.
For copyright infringement issues, you shall contact Southcn.com within thirty (30) days. Email: falv@southcn.com
Home | News | Brief Business | PRD | Gov Info | Cities & Towns | Culture/Life/Edu | Travelling | Enjoy Life | Pictures | Specials
About Us | Contact Us | Southcn.com
© www.newsgd.com registered number 020074 | ICP Certificate No.B2-20050252
If you find any error in this page, please drag your mouse to mark the text with error, then press "CTRL" and "ENTER", to inform us. Thanks for your help!