NEWSGD.COM
Home | About Us | Contact Us | Site Map | Chinese
News | Biz | Pearl River Delta | Enjoy Life | Culture | Travelling | Pics | Cities & Towns | Gov Info | Specials
Home > News Brief > World
Italian Supreme Court confirms Prodi's win
Latest Updated by 2006-04-20 10:28:37
Related News
Berlusconi rejects Prodi's victory claim
Prodi prepares to form cabinet
Italy kicks off general elections
World News
US to conduct crisis exercise targeting Iran
Italian Supreme Court confirms Prodi's win
Death toll reaches 66 in Mexico bus plunge

Italian Supreme Court announced Wednesday (Apr 19) that center-left leader Romano Prodi had won last week's general election, dismissing complaints by Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi that the vote was marred by irregularities.

The confirmation by the Court of Cassation officially ended a stalemate over the razor-thin majority won by the center-left, after Berlusconi's refusal to concede defeat.

After the confirmation Prodi said that Italians should have no doubts about his electoral win.

"Finally the electoral affair is over," Prodi said at a press conference. "Italians have no more doubts about our victory."

According to the supreme court's statement, Prodi won the election in the lower house by 24,755 votes. Provisional results last week said the winning margin was a slightly higher 25,224 votes.

But under an electoral law pushed through parliament by Berlusconi's government, Prodi's coalition is guaranteed 63 extra seats in the event of a close finish. In the Senate, it will have a two-seat majority.

Under the Italian constitution, it is the president's job to formally appoint a new government. President Carlo Ciampi's term ends on May 18 and the 85-year-old president has made it clear that he wants his successor - who will be chosen by parliament in voting on May 12 to 13 - to name the new premier. As a result, Prodi's government is not expected to take office until May.

Editor: Wing

By: Source: China View website
Previous:  US to conduct crisis exercise targeting Iran  Next:Death toll reaches 66 in Mexico bus plunge


Guangzhou collector buys ex-US president's limousine


Guangdong listed 78 Intangible Heritage


[Group Photo]Xiangjiang Safari Park


Las Vegas Sands Co. invests 2 bn USD in Hengqin Island


Monroe memorabilia goes under the hammer
This site contains material from other media for content enrichment purpose only.
The Southcn.com website do not endorse such content and do not bear the joint responsibility of their copyright infringement.
The views expressed in written material posted to the bulletin boards of Southcn.com are those of the authors and/or publishers. The Southcn.com website does not endorse information products posted by organizations and individuals here. The originators of these information products are solely responsible for their content.
For copyright infringement issues, you shall contact Southcn.com within thirty (30) days. Email: falv@southcn.com
If you find any error in this page, please drag your mouse to mark the text with error, then press "CTRL" and "ENTER", to inform us. Thanks for your help!
Home  |  About Us  |   Contact Us  |  Site Map  |  Chinese
©2005 WWW.NEWSGD.COM. All rights reserved.registered number 020074 Terms of Use | Advertise | ICP Certificate No.B2-20050252
Guangdong Gov Link
Guangdong Gov Brief
State Structure
Guangdong in Brief
Laws & Regulations
Exchange Rate
Guangdong Guide
   
Museum Museum
University University
Eat Eat
Shopping Duting
Night Life Night Life
Weather Weather
Phone No. Phone Num
Consulate Consulate
Airport Airport
Travel Tips Tours Tips