GUANGDONG ONLINE
   Home-Cities & Towns-Shenzhen-Shenzhen News
Shenzhen News
  Guangzhou | Shenzhen | Zhuhai | Foshan | Dongguan | Huizhou | Zhongshan | Jiangmen | Zhaoqing | OtherCities
Border bridge to close for blast
Latest Updated by 2005-05-13 11:05:37

The Lok Ma Chau Bridge near Huanggang Checkpoint will be closed for 20 minutes May 24 when 18 illegal buildings at Yunongcun in Futian District are dynamited.

This was disclosed Thursday at a working conference joined by a dozen of government departments and companies concerning the blast.

Wu Zijun, general manager of Shenzhen Haofengda Blast Engineering Co. Ltd., said the bridge would be closed because the hithermost distance between the blast site and the bridge was only 47 meters.

The bridge would be closed 15 minutes before the blast and five minutes after but the specific closing time of the bridge wouldn't be released until the Hong Kong side had been consulted, said Wu.

Yunongcun, also known as the Fisherman Village, is the first "urban village" planned to be reconstructed under a broader plan by the municipal government to modernize the city's "urban villages" that are plagued by squatter buildings and poor planning. It is also the first "urban village" to be rebuilt in Futian District.

There were 109 illegal buildings in Yunongcun covering 130,000 square meters. On May 24, 18 buildings will be demolished, accounting for an area of 62,000 square meters, which outstrips the 43,000 square meters of demolished area at the Guangzhou Gymnasium located behind the China Hotel in Guangzhou in 2002. The explosion in Guangzhou was once called China's No. 1 blast.

About 900 kilograms of explosives have been prepared to demolish the 18 buildings, which are more than eight stories high with the explosions expected to last barely four seconds May 24. About 10,000 shot holes have been dug. The preparation and environment protection work had been basically ready for the explosion, said Wu.

Two companies, Haofengda and Shenzhen Heli Blast Technology Engineering Co. Ltd., will conduct the blast.

The two companies have sent more than 400 workers and engineers to the site since March 8 and had dismantled 91 eight-story or lower buildings by the end of April.

The blast would completely end Yunongcun's status of "one family, one illegal building," said an official with the Futian District Government.

A direct road to the Huanggang Checkpoint would be built from Yunongcun later, according to the reconstruction plan of the district government.

Editor: Yan 

This site contains material from other media for content enrichment purpose only.
The Southcn.com website do not endorse such content and do not bear the joint responsibility of their copyright infringement.
The views expressed in written material posted to the bulletin boards of Southcn.com are those of the authors and/or publishers. The Southcn.com website does not endorse information products posted by organizations and individuals here. The originators of these information products are solely responsible for their content.
For copyright infringement issues, you shall contact Southcn.com within thirty (30) days. Email: falv@southcn.com

By: Source:Szdaily web edition
- Relevant Stories -
Home | News | Brief Business | PRD | Gov Info | Cities & Towns | Culture/Life/Edu | Travelling | Enjoy Life | Pictures | Specials
About Us | Contact Us | Southcn.com
© www.newsgd.com registered number 020074 | ICP Certificate No.B2-20050252
If you find any error in this page, please drag your mouse to mark the text with error, then press "CTRL" and "ENTER", to inform us. Thanks for your help!