GUANGDONG ONLINE
   Home-Cities & Towns-Shenzhen-Shenzhen News
Shenzhen News
  Guangzhou | Shenzhen | Zhuhai | Foshan | Dongguan | Huizhou | Zhongshan | Jiangmen | Zhaoqing | OtherCities
Squatter houses water cut off
Latest Updated by 2004-09-07 10:29:42

Authorities disconnected water supplies to 240 squatter buildings in Yantian, Luohu, Futian and Nanshan districts within two days, the first step in making illegal buildings uninhabitable.

The supplies were cut to 133 buildings Sunday and another 107 Monday (Sept. 6).

This followed a decision by the municipal committee of the CPC and the municipal government to launch a new campaign to demolish illegal buildings after two people went missing in a landslide in the vicinity of squatter houses in Changpai Village near the Special Economic Zone border.

Top city officials urged water supply companies to cut water supplies to all illegal buildings.

The water companies would also help the government in the demolition campaign. They said the existing water supplies were connected by the owners of the buildings without approval.

Meanwhile, the Luohu District Government on Sunday declared squatter houses on slopes in four villages dangerous buildings and urged the residents to evacuate as soon as possible.

The order covered scores of houses on unstable slopes in Mumianling, Yulong New Village, Mashan New Village and Gangpeng New Village, all near the Special Economic Zone border.

The Luohu District Government plans to either demolish these buildings or take remedial action to make them safe.

It insisted that the evacuation order was for the safety of the residents.

A survey commissioned by the district government has found 14 unstable slopes, including seven dangerous ones, in the "mixed patches" near the Special Economic Zone areas.

The jurisdiction of these areas was assigned to Luohu last year in a campaign to restore law and order in the unruly regions plagued by a higher crime rate and makeshift structures.

On the seven dangerous slopes, about 50 squatter buildings accommodated more than 3,000 residents, the district government said.

As the city was in the rainy season, residents living on the dangerous slopes would be risking their lives, the Shenzhen Special Zone Daily said Monday.

More than 1,500 residents in Mashan New Village had evacuated their houses after a landslide drill in May, the newspaper said.

Editor: Olivia

This site contains material from other media for content enrichment purpose only.
The Southcn.com website do not endorse such content and do not bear the joint responsibility of their copyright infringement.
The views expressed in written material posted to the bulletin boards of Southcn.com are those of the authors and/or publishers. The Southcn.com website does not endorse information products posted by organizations and individuals here. The originators of these information products are solely responsible for their content.
For copyright infringement issues, you shall contact Southcn.com within thirty (30) days. Email: falv@southcn.com

By:Lin Min Source:szdaily
- Relevant Stories -
GZ University Town to build three firehouses
Old warehouses found in GZ
Overhaul for rented houses
Home | News | Brief Business | PRD | Gov Info | Cities & Towns | Culture/Life/Edu | Travelling | Enjoy Life | Pictures | Specials
About Us | Contact Us | Southcn.com
© www.newsgd.com registered number 020074 | ICP Certificate No.B2-20050252
If you find any error in this page, please drag your mouse to mark the text with error, then press "CTRL" and "ENTER", to inform us. Thanks for your help!