To commemorate Lady Xian, many temples of Lady Xian have been built everywhere. In Maoming city, there are more than 200 temples, among which the Temple of Madam Xian in Gaozhou county-level city is the biggest and the most influential.
The temple was built in the fourteenth year of the reign of Emperor Jiajing in the Ming dynasty (1535). It is divided into four parts, namely, the front hall, the middle hall, the main hall and the back hall of Feng Gong Temple. Inside it, we can see a statue of Lady Xian, some stone carvings and inscriptions which are of high historical and cultural value. The temple is a provincial key cultural relics protection unit.
The front hall has now turned into a place where followers can buy incense paper from stalls. On the walls of both sides of the middle hall, there are 14 well-preserved steles. Altogether, there are more than 10 thousand characters written in seal character, regular script, official script, running script and Song typeface. The inscriptions on the steles record the real life story and historical achievement of Lady Xian. They are not only precious material data for the study on Lady Xian but also rare art treasures. Among the numerous steles, there is one poetry stele that is 1.1 meters long and 0.7 meters high, on which we can read the poets to eulogize Lady Xian written by 10 officials of 6 jurisdictions during the reign of Emperor Jiaqing in the Qing dynasty (1796-1820).
Inside the outer room of the main hall sits a statue of Lady Xian with two maids on both sides. One is called Mu Lan who keeps a treasured sword while the other one is called Cao E who keeps a seal of commander-in-chief for Lady Xian. The one who sits upright on the throne in the middle is Lady Xian. The statues in the back are fixed inside the temple while the small ones in the front can be carried out for gala parade.
The back hall is Feng Gong Temple. Feng Gong is the husband of Lady Xian, Feng Pao, who worked as the prefecture chief of Gaoliang prefecture. He had supported the career of Lady Xian for her whole life and was granted posthumously the head of Guangzhou and was conferred a posthumous title of “Duke of the Qiao State”. Inside Feng Gong Temple, there sit two statues of the couple, which is call “He He Gods” by people.
In February, 2000, former General Secretary Jiang Zemin visited the Temple of Madam Xian. He stressed that the Temple of Madam Xian should be built into a base for patriotism education. At the moment, the houses surrounding the Temple of Madam Xian have been torn down and the temple has been integrated with Panzhou Park. The integration is now called the Culture Park of Lady Xian, which has been turned into a historical and cultural tourist area.
Add.: Renmin Road, downtown Gaozhou county-level city, Maoming
Opening hours: 8:00-18:00