Home> News> HK Macao
HK welcomes new entry policy, vows to curb parallel trading
2015-April-14 Source: Xinhuanet.com
Text Size: A A A | Print | Share by E-mail:

Hong Kong Special Administrative Region(SAR) government on Monday welcomed a cap on trips to Hong Kong by residents of neighboring Shenzhen city and vowed to continue curbing cross-boarder parallel trading.

China's Ministry of Public Security announced on Monday a new policy which stops issuing multiple-entry permit to Shenzhen residents and will instead issue one-visit-per-week permit from April 13.

Hong Kong's Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying said on Monday that the new entry scheme for Shenzhen residents is aimed at cutting back on parallel trading and he appreciated the central government's new policy for understanding Hong Kong's current situation. The multiple-entry permit to Hong Kong SAR for Shenzhen residents was introduced in April 2009, which drew 1.47 million visitors from April to December that year and stimulated Hong Kong 's retail and tourism industries.

However, the number rose to 4.1 million in 2010, and 14.9 million last year, with increasing parallel trading problem complained by some Hong Kong residents living near the boarder.

According to the SAR government, the number of Shenzhen residents who visit Hong Kong twice a week amounted to 4.6 million last year, as much as 31 percent of the total visitors holding multiple-entry permit.

From the beginning of this year, occasional anti-parallel trading protests occurred in several regions near the border to Shenzhen, in which some Hong Kong residents clashed with Hong Kong police and visitors from the mainland.

Leung said the anti-parallel trading protests seriously impacted Hong Kong's status as an international tourism city. " Actually, much of the uncivilized protest actions that took place in the past months have been counter-productive as far as the SAR government's efforts are concerned," said Leung.

He said that it is not easy to adjust the policy and also expressed gratitude to the Guangdong provincial government and Shenzhen municipal government for understanding.

1   2   Next  

Editor: Chan
Related News
This site contains material from other media for content enrichment purpose only. The Southcn.com website do not endorse such content and do not bear the joint responsibility of their copyright infringement. The views expressed in written material posted to the bulletin boards of Southcn.com are those of the authors and/or publishers. The Southcn.com website does not endorse information products posted by organizations and individuals here. The originators of these information products are solely responsible for their content. For copyright infringement issues, you shall contact Southcn.com within thirty (30) days. Email: falv@southcn.com
Home | About Us | Contact Us | Southcn.com
www.newsgd.com registered number 020074 | ICP Certificate No.B2-20050252