HK stages massive rally to mourn for hostage victims, demand apology and probe
2010-August-30 Source: China View website
Text Size: A A A | Print | Share by E-mail:

  People parade to express their condolences for the families of the bus hijack victims in Hong Kong, south China, Aug 29, 2010. Eight Hong Kong residents lost their lives in a tour bus hijack occured in Philippine's capital Manila on Aug 23, 2010. (Xinhua/Huang Xiaoyong)

Tens of thousands of Hong Kong residents joined in a massive rally on Sunday (Aug 29) afternoon to mourn for the eight victims of last Monday's hostage crisis and demand the Philippine authorities to apologize for the tragedy and conduct a thorough probe soon.

Initiated by several political organizations, Hong Kong residents started to pour into the city's landmark Victoria Park after around 1:00 p.m. local time in the day despite swelteringly hot weather.

In a brief ceremony before the march started, President of Hong Kong's Legislative Council Jasper Tsang, the city's other lawmakers and o ther marchers observed a 3-minute silence to mourn for those killed in the tragedy.

In his speech, Tsang, on behalf of the city's 60 lawmakers, expressed shock and sorrow over the incident and extended deep condolence to the victims of the tragedy and their families.

Tsang said lawmakers had blasted the Philippine authorities for their blunders in handling the crisis, which led to deaths and injuries of Hong Kong's tourists.

Lawmakers also pressed the Hong Kong government to demand that the Philippine side should apologize for the tragedy and conduct a thorough investigation as soon as possible. They also asked the city's government to seek for a direct involvement in the investigation.

Hong Kong police estimated that some 26,000 people gathered at the Victoria Park and expected more people to join in the procession during the march. The organizers had said earlier that they expected more than 50,000 people would participate in the march.

At around 3:00 p.m., demonstrators, including the city's lawmakers, began to leave the Victoria Park and marched towards the Chater Garden at Central on the Hong Kong Island.

They held such banners in black as "Deepest Condolences to the Families of the Victims" and "Demand thorough Probe into the Truth of the Incident".

Most of the marchers were in black or white shirts. The march was staged in peace and order.

Upon arrival at the Chater Garden, lawmakers led other marchers to observe a 1-minute silence before laying flowers or tying yellow ribbons on handrails.

1   2   3   4   5   Next  

Editor: Miranda
Related News
This site contains material from other media for content enrichment purpose only. The Southcn.com website do not endorse such content and do not bear the joint responsibility of their copyright infringement. The views expressed in written material posted to the bulletin boards of Southcn.com are those of the authors and/or publishers. The Southcn.com website does not endorse information products posted by organizations and individuals here. The originators of these information products are solely responsible for their content. For copyright infringement issues, you shall contact Southcn.com within thirty (30) days. Email: falv@southcn.com
Info for Non-Residents