Three people convicted of rioting in Mong Kok were each sentenced to three years in prison on Friday at Hong Kong's District Court.
The District Court had convicted them of rioting in the violent clashes that took place during the Lunar New Year holidays in February last year.
Hui Ka-ki, Mak Tsz-hei, and Sit Tat-wing, aged between 20 to 33, are the first to be convicted of rioting in Mong Kok clashes. The three defendants were convicted of throwing items like water bottles and bamboo poles at police officers.
Judge Sham Siu-man said, "Violence is violence." He said the court has to pass a deterrent sentence, to let others know that there are consequences in rioting.