Requirements for replacement of marriage registration certificate
1. The replaced marriage registration certificate can be granted to:
1) couples who have registered a marriage or divorce in accordance with the law, and maintain a marital status.
2) couples who have lost or damaged their marriage registration certificate.
2. Credentials and materials submitted for replacement of marriage registration certificate:
1) Clients shall provide their own permanent residential registration booklet, resident identity card, permit, passport or other valid credentials for international travel.
2) Clients shall show the marriage registration record provided by the Department of Marriage Registration Records.
3) Couples who have lost their marriage registration record shall submit proof of their marital status.
4) Clients shall submit three recently-taken two-inch, half-length, bareheaded color photos taken together (for replacement of marriage certificate) or two one-inch, half-length, bareheaded single color photos (for replacement of divorce certificate).
3. Procedure for replacement of marriage registration certificate:
1) Couples shall apply for replacement to the same marriage registration department that approved the registration, or to the marriage registration department of the spouse's registered permanent residence.
2) Couples shall apply to the marriage registration department in person and fill out the declaration on Application for Replacement of Marriage Registration Certificate.
3) If they cannot apply for replacement of the marriage registration certificate at the same marriage registration department that approved the registration, then clients can entrust someone else with this. To have a trustee do it, they shall submit their own identity card copies and the trust deed notarized by a notary public. The trust deed shall provide details including the time when the clients registered the marriage, the department that approved the registration, their present marital status, the reason for this, the name of the trustee, and the identity card number. The trustee shall submit his or her identity card at the same time.
4) The marriage registration department shall approve the clients' application for replacement if they can provide credentials, proofs and declarations that meet the requirements for replacement of marriage registration certificate.
4. Time limit of and charge standard for replacement of marriage registration certificate:
1) Time limit of registration: Those who provide all needed credentials and materials shall be given a marriage registration certificate.
2) Standard charge: RMB 9.00 is charged for every replacement of a marriage registration certificate.